Wednesday, January 21, 2009

WHOA! dream big.

I have messy hair. It's just how I am. Even when I try to make it nice, it ends up messy. I like my messy hair, and I like doing weird things with it. I enjoy finding new ways to use bobby pins and clips and I don't care if it looks silly, because if I like it, no one elses opinion matters.

Lately I haven't been my messy-haired self. I straightened my hair one day for whatever reason, and it just looked too boring to me. It didn't look like my hair. But I went to work with it straight anyway.


A cute boy that I work with thought it looked pretty. He told me so, and he kept staring at me all throughout the shift.

I've been straightening my hair since. Even though I don't particularly like it.


Last night my hair was curly. And after an hour, it was back to being the mess that it usually is. That cute boy told me that when I am around him, I should wear it straight.

Because to him, I look pretty when it's straight.


What am I doing?
I know it sounds silly and a bit trivial.
But why am I compromising who I am to fit into someone else's idea of beauty?
Even if it's just my hair.


"In my opinion, the best thing you can do is find a person who loves you for exactly what you are. Good mood, bad mood, ugly, pretty, handsome, what have you, the right person will still think the sun shines out your ass. That's the kind of person that's worth sticking with."

- Mac MacGuff

I love the movie Juno, and this quote is one of the many reasons why it has become a favorite of mine.


I know there is a person out there who loves me for exactly who I am. He will think I am beautiful whether my hair is straight, curly, dreaded, dirty, clipped up, cut short, etc.


I must be myself.
Because it starts with the hair. And then it's the body, the ideals, the beliefs.
A compromising snow ball.


No snow balls for me.
I'm keeping my messy hair.

1 comment:

Stook said...

Ok, so if I wasn't your roomie, and you hadn't already read this aloud in our room, then I would have made a comment.
oh wait.