Tuesday, January 13, 2009


Smalls. He was not the greatest baseball player. But Benny "the jet" Rodriguez refused to give up on him. A few tries, and Smalls finally got it. The great Hambino, Squince, Tommy and Timmy and the rest of the gang decided "he's alright."

Sandlot. What a great movie. So many life truth's are portrayed.

Wow. I was just going to parallel how Smalls had to pickle the beast with my current situation, but then I remembered another scene in the movie. A scene that does more than parallel. It solves my dilemma.

Benny: Fine, fine, FINE! Be like 'dat. So what are we gunna do?
Gang: (collectively) GET POOL HONEYS!!

Squince made a huge decision that day when they all went to the community pool. He was in love with Wendy Peffercorn and he just could not keep it to himself for one more day. She was twice his age and gorgeous, but it didn't matter to him. He was going to let her know whether she liked it or not. For those of you who haven't seen the movie or need a refresher, let me share. Wendy was a lifeguard, and Squince was not able to swim in the deep end. Ahh... remember now? He jumps off the diving board into the deep end and pretends to drown. Wendy jumps in after him and ends up giving him mouth to mouth resusitation. Squince suprises everyone and lays a huge kiss on her.

This next part is my favorite.

She gets so mad that she drags him off of the pool grounds and bans him and the rest of the Sandlot crew from the community pool. He stands at the gate and cries a little, staring up at her on her lifeguard tower. She looks down upon him, shakes her head, smiles and waves. He smiles and waves back, and runs off to join his buddies.

Later on in life, Squince and Wendy get married. And have....is it ten kids?

Something like that.


He did what he needed to do, even if that meant rejection. Which it did, at first. But he was ok with that. He was satisfied. He smiled and moved on.


I HAVE GOT to do what I need to do. I MUST obey my God.

I HAVE TO TELL HIM.
Even if that means I have to jump in the deep end and pretend to drown.



(In my case, it means getting on a plane)

2 comments:

A Cane in Gator Country said...

Great movie, and great insight. Words i could stand to say to myself. Thanks

Michelle C. said...

ahhh. The Sandlot. That movie should be a class in college that teaches people about life.

FOR E VER!

Great insight megan. JUMP!